I am a social worker at Baylor. My patient is undocumented,

Customer Question
I am a social...

I am a social worker at Baylor. My patient is undocumented, but wants to help

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

A young friend of the family by becoming his legal guardian

Lawyer's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

What is the process for her to become the legal guardian of this teen? His mother doesnt care

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?

He has been missing school b/c his mother doesnt take him

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
3/2/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Can you please tell me what state this is in?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Texas

Thank you.

What the person wants to do is to file a Suit Affecting Parent Child Relationship with the Court and ask for CONSERVATORSHIP (meaning custody). The parent (mother and father if possible) should then sign a WAIVER of SERVICE to be filed along with the pleading.

Then the Court will assign a guardian/attorney ad litem to the child who can represent the child, and a review of the household of the person will be done. Assuming no issues are found, the Court should then award her the conservatorship, making her a legal guardian.

The matter normally takes a few months. Counsel is recommended as this matter can be somewhat complicated.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!