How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a civil contract case from 06/20/2007 that was filed

Customer Question

I have a civil contract case from 06/20/2007 that was filed with the circuit court of cook. The case was dismissed without prejudice-Allowed. 7/31/07 - I paid the total ad damnum amount and court fees. My question - How do I have this file removed from the county clerk of the circuit court file system.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Civil court cases (particularly a breach of contract case) are not going to be removed. Matters that occur in our judicial system are public record. (we do this to prevent the exercise of our judicial system in private or secrecy, and to ensure that our system is fair to all). There are very few instances where a party can request that certain documents be redacted or quashed from the public record (for example cases where a witness (not a party to the case) has claims of abuse or some similar issue and they want those records pulled). In such cases they can make a motion to the court asking that the court seal or redact the records, but this is "extraordinary" (meaning it happens only in unusual circumstances for very compelling reasons).

A breach of contract claim is not going to rise to this standard.

Related Legal Questions