My wife, age 63 was turned down Security because of being…

Customer Question
My wife, age 63 was...
My wife, age 63 was turned down for Social Security because of being one year short to qualify.
Is there a way for her to get benefits from Social Security.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
3/1/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

She has a couple of options.She can work a year if she was short of quarters in order to qualify.She can draw half your social security when you file or if you have already filed.This is called spousal benefit.

She is tied to the amount you get here and when you filed, she would get half of your benefit.If she draws that now it will be a reduced amount since she is not of retirement age but she will get something.

If she is unable to work here this is likely the best option to draw spousal benefit when you file for yours.

Even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse's retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits. You can also qualify for Medicare at age 65.

Retirement Planner: Benefits For You As A Spouse

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html

Her spousal benefit will be tied to yours and she gets roughly half of yours.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best to both of you.