My 15 year old (unlicensed) daughter stole a truck and ended…

Customer Question
Hello, my 15 year old...
Hello, my 15 year old (unlicensed) daughter stole a truck and ended up spinning out into a ditch after a high speed chase from police. We are in court now, and the owner of the truck is seeking restitution. So far, she is responsible for his $500 deductable, 2 nights stay in a hotel room, and the use of a rental car, totaling just over $1000. His insurance company totaled his truck at $16000. Will his insurance company come after my daughter, or, ultimately, me, for this $16000? thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
3/1/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Will his insurance company come after my daughter, or, ultimately, me, for this $16000?

.

This is definitely a possibility because under the insurance company's subrogation rights, they can sue the person who caused the loss that they had to pay for. And since your daughter is a minor, you as the parent are legally liable for any damages that your minor child causes.

.

So can they come sue you?...yes. Will they?...no way of knowing. But if they feel that they can get their money back from suing you for their damages and legal costs, then they are much more likely to do so.

.

A lot of this will boil down to whether they feel that you have the assets to repay them. If you rent your home, don't have a lot of assets and are not in a high paying job, then it is less likely because they don't want to spend ten thousand on an attorney suing you if it is likely that you would just file bankruptcy if they got a judgment..

.

.

thanks