How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4064
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My attorney filed a charging lien against me in a contested

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: My attorney filed a charging lien against me in a contested divorce. I paid her $22,700 already. The lien is for an additional $23,000. Can I respond to her charging lien?
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Such as?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I just want to know if I there is a legal response that I can file to the Charging Lien against me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You do not indicate what state you are in. But that is OKAY because almost every state has adopted mandatory binding arbitration for attorneys who are having a dispute with a client over fees that have been billed. If you wish to dispute the fees that have been assessed and that form the basis for the lien, you can file a demand for arbitration through the State Attorney Bar Association. The advantage of the arbitration process is that you as the client are not charged for the Arbitration and you can represent yourself if you desire.

If you google the name of your State and Attorney Fee Arbitration you should get a link to the program in your state. If you have trouble let me know and I can research it for you. While it is possible that your state does not have such a program, most states do.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.