Legal Over-billing, no, I used a law firm on a matter, they…

Customer Question
Legal Over-billing Lawyer's Assistant:...

Legal Over-billing

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

I used a law firm on a matter, they strung me along under performed and way over billed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?

Yes. i still don't have a final accounting from them. so i don't have a figure as to the total they billed me but it is around 80K. i paid 50. they wrote off the balance which just shows how odd their billing is. i feel i am entitled to at absolute minimum half if not all of what i paid back. they billed me for three lawyers at one time, meetings not present, money to third parties never paid by them, etc pretty much used all the tactics there and on top of it never helped me with my case just tried to keep me confused and reexplaining my case to keep their billing clock running.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/29/2016
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking.

what are the steps if law firm refuses to meet to go over bill?
how to begin and what are steps for arbitration in new york city?
do you have a referral for malpractice attorney in nyc?
how should i proceed to resolve the matter described above? are there any particulars i should ask for from the firm? if denied how do i escalate in order to achieve a just resolution? at what point do i need an attorney?

Hi again. Thank you for the additional information and for your patience while I was temporarily away from my computer.

Q: what are the steps if law firm refuses to meet to go over bill?

A: Then you have the right to request fee arbitration (see below), you have the right to file a complaint with the state bar (click here: https://goo.gl/kGSFaJ), and you have the right to sue the firm. Possible causes of action in a civil lawsuit are unjust enrichment, fraud, breach of contract, and malpractice.

Q: how to begin and what are steps for arbitration in new york city?

A: You would choose your county from the list here: https://www.nycourts.gov/admin/feedispute/local_programs.shtml

Assuming you are in First Judicial District, you would use this form: https://www.nycourts.gov/admin/feedispute/pdfs/1stjd_NY_disputerefund.pdf

Q: do you have a referral for malpractice attorney in nyc?

A: While the terms of service do not allow me to refer you to a specific attorney, I strongly suggest that you use the NYC Bar's attorney referral service, which you can access online here: http://www.nycbar.org/get-legal-help/

They will be able to put you in touch with a lawyer who specializes in this area of law and who can represent you against the other firm as necessary.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

do i request arbitration thru the firm? what are the costs of arbitration?

Hi again.

If I were you, I would apply for the fee arbitration since that will likely be the most cost effective way to resolve the issue from your perspective (note that I did not find a fee anywhere in the literature, other than the fact that a fee can be charged; my suggestion is to call the number on the form and ask for that information). You do not request arbitration through the firm. Rather, you use the form provided in the link that I posted in my prior answer: https://www.nycourts.gov/admin/feedispute/pdfs/1stjd_NY_disputerefund.pdf

I would not contact the firm again outside of the arbitration. If you disagree with the arbitrator's decision, then you may sue the firm for a refund within 30 days. If you can afford to have an attorney present at the arbitration, then I would certainly retain an attorney for that purpose. Clearly you would need an attorney if you opt to sue the firm.

what is the timeline once you request a fee arbitration?

Hi again.

Once you file the Request for Fee Arbitration, the local program will mail a copy of the request to the firm, who must provide a response within 15 days of the mailing. You will receive at least 15 days’ notice in writing of the time and place of the hearing and of the identity of the arbitrator. The arbitrator's decision will be issued no later than 30 days after the date of the hearing.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need further clarification, and please remember to provide positive feedback. Thank you.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney