My name is ***** ***** and I was wondering in I 't go to…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** and I was wondering in I don't go to court in Colorado for a Misdemeanor DUI or DWAI will I get arrested in Arizona if I am living there?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was stopped for suspicion of DUI in Colorado Springs and Driving under suspended license and was curious how important a charge it is to Colorado. I was told I would be sentenced to two months in jail and probation.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/29/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

You can, yes. The court in CO will issue a bench warrant for you if you don't appear in court. The court can then apply to the Governor of AZ for you to be arrested and extradited. The court can also just enter the warrant into the warrant database and then if you are stopped for a ticket or go to renew your driver's license or something like that then they can arrest you can hold you on the warrant and CO can then extradite you. If they choose to go with the second option then you will likely sit in jail somewhere between 30 and 90 days while waiting for the extradition process to play out.

If the two options, the state will usually chose the second one. That way it is easier on them since you will already be under arrest before they have to go through the extradition process.