How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4080
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I accidentally mistyped two numbers in the last four digits

Customer Question

Hi, I accidentally mistyped two numbers in the last four digits of my debit card. I have contacted the businesses to let them know to cancel the orders and such. I have also contacted the bloc AL police department to get advise on what to do in this situation; I am aware this a form of identity theift, but I did not mean to do it. It was an honest mistake, and I am just wondering what the process would be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I hope to put your mind at ease. I have no idea why the police suggested that you committed a crime when you clearly did not. Under Kansas law in order to commit the crime of Identity theft you must do the action intentionally. It is not a crime that can be committed by accident. Here is a link to the law where you can see the language:

You can see in the first sentence that acts must be taken: "with the intent to defraud that person, or any one else, in order to receive any benefit." More so, law enforcement must prove the intent. You do not have to prove it was an accident. Given that you took immediate steps to rectify the error clearly there is no crime in your description of the events.

So please do not worry about that part of your situation.

As far as fixing the situation, you already did when you notified the businesses of the error.

Rest assured that you have done everything right and there will be no negative consequences for you. Now that the businesses are aware and have cancelled the orders there is nothing further you must do. Please do not worry any further about this.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or concerns. I want to make sure that you are fully confident that you have nothing to worry about.

Kind regards,


(Please do not forget to rate me - click the five stars. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.)