I wrote to a diaper manufacturer in 1987 with an idea

Customer Question
for a visible wetness indicator...
I wrote to a diaper manufacturer in 1987 with an idea for a visible wetness indicator and mailed myself a copy of the letter I still have unopened. Is there anything I can do at this time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/29/2016
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Do I have ground for compensation?

Thank you

How so...that is, why do you believe you have a claim? I understand you mailed an idea into a manufacturer...but that is all I got from the question. Is there more information?

Did the manufacturer use your idea? When?

A similar product is in use.

Thank you
And how long has that been in place (how long has the similar product been on the market)?

Their product has been on the market a couple of years.

THanks

One more...did you ever apply for a patent?

If so, when?

No but I have the same letter I wrote to the company in a sealed unopened envelope to myself.

Thanks

I fear you have waited too long.

The statute of limitations on a patent claim is 6 years. Since this happened over 6 years ago (in fact nearly 30 years ago)? And since you never actually obtained or applied for a patent? It is too late to bring a legal case

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can still sue, after nearly 30 years, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.