I have a question regarding; Harassment by

Customer Question
Telecommunications device 9.10a1B in the...
I have a question regarding; Harassment by Telecommunications device 9.10a1B in the state of Kansas. Can I be guilty of domestic violence or harassment if I called the person the "B" word and "C"word on a text? The complaint was not signed by my ex but by the officer. I don't have any copies of the text, and I sent them when we were not living together. I don't know if I should hire an attorney for such a minor infraction? My initial arraignment is this Thurs I just got notice in the mail on Friday. Also I have an email from my ex where she sent pornographic images of me unsolicited around the same time of the accusations against me. Do I mention this to the judge in order to drop the case, or do I make a report to counter act this one against me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/29/2016
Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

I will answer your questions in the order in which they appear.

Can I be guilty of domestic violence or harassment if I called the person the "B" word and "C"word on a text? You cannot be found guilty of domestic violence, but you can be found guilty of harassment under that set of circumstances.

I don't know if I should hire an attorney for such a minor infraction?

I would hire one of you can because this is a charge that you can avoid on your record. If you aren't represented, then there is a good chance of conviction. However, this is a situation in which when you are represented, you have a good chance of getting a deferred judgment. Think of the lawyer as an insurance policy.

Do I mention this to the judge in order to drop the case, or do I make a report to counter act this one against me?

I would file a counter against her. I think that gives you the most leverage going forward. The court will likely throw both charges out that way.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks

Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney