How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29816
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend lives in ct and has been with this guy has a 10yr

Customer Question

My friend lives in ct and has been with this guy for 2yrs has a 10yr old girl and 8yr old boy a house not married on his behalf and she wants out. What are her rights?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2yrs in relationship. Sorry
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation.

A break-up is not legally treated the same as a divorce. A judge doesn't divide the assets, and an unmarried partner is not entitled to receive alimony. Those are things a couple is choosing to give up when they decide to live together without getting married. The house belongs to whoever owned it before they moved in together, and any mortgage payments made by the other partner are considered rent. There's no right to compensation unless there's a written agreement that says otherwise. Whoever owns the house (and it sounds like that's your friend) has the right to ask the other to leave by providing 30 days written notice BEFORE month end. So, notice would have to be given today to be effective as of March 31. It may help to have a friend hand him a written notice so that person can testify if necessary.

Then, if he doesn't go at the end of the month, she can go to court and have him evicted. But hopefully he'll just leave to avoid making an awkward situation even more difficult.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.