Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in Scottsdale, AZ in a private, gated community. Is

Customer Question
it illegal for kids in...
I live in Scottsdale, AZ in a private, gated community. Is it illegal for kids in the neighborhood to play in the street? Some neighbors have complained about kids riding bicycles and scooters in the roadway. There is a sidewalk, but we live on a cul-de-sac with lots of kids, and they tend to be in the street.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
2/29/2016
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Here is the relevant statutes:

28-796. Pedestrian on roadways

A. If sidewalks are provided, a pedestrian shall not walk along and on an adjacent roadway.

B. If sidewalks are not provided, a pedestrian walking along and on a highway shall walk when practicable only on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic that may approach from the opposite direction.

C. A person shall not stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride from the driver of a vehicle.

Here are the rules for biking in the streets: (i am providing the link as there are many statutes)

https://www.azgohs.gov/transportation-safety/default.asp?ID=16

So as you will see, it is against the law for a person to be in the street; and bicycles must conform to the law, and those laws are similar to the motor vehicle laws.

The statutes can be viewed here:

http://www.azbikeped.org/images/Arizona%20Revised%20Statutes%20Bicycle%20Laws.pdf

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer