How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3920
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have BA in commutations and a double minor in psychology

Customer Question

I have BA in commutations and a double minor in psychology form Auburn University. I have taken 5 graduate level psychology classes earned a certification as a ife coach and now want to be certified as a Pastoral Christin counselor and start my own pratice. Are there an laws in Georgia that would prohibit me from practicing Pastoral christian counseling in Georgia
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience including significant experience regarding the regulation of licnesed professionals. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Because of the religious aspect of pastoral counseling persons engaged in that practice are exempt from the licensing requirements pertaining to other professional counseling fields. As a consequence the state does not and can not prohibit you from engaging in the practice of Pastoral Christian Counseling.

Here is a link to the Georgia Law that requires a license to engage in couseling. Please note the following sections that exempt persons from the license requirement where they are:

(9) Active members of the clergy but only when the practice of their specialty is in the course of
their service as clergy;
(10) Members of religious ministries responsible to their established ecclesiastical authority who
possess a master's degree or its equivalent in theological studies;
(11) Persons engaged in the practice of a specialty in accordance with Biblical doctrine in public
or nonprofit agencies or entities or in private practice;,_Soc._Workers_Marriage_And_Family_Therapists_43-10A.pdf

So long as you fit into one of the above three exceptions you may practice without a license or authorization from the state.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


I just wanted to make sure that you did not have any additional questions on this subject. Please let me know if you need anything clarified.

Kind regards,