I run a travel basketball association for 6 yrs on outer…

Customer Question
I run a travel basketball...
I run a travel basketball association for 6 yrs on outer banks North Carolina . I charge $245 to play the season which includes 3roughly 3 hrs of practice and instruction per week, any gym fees we incur. And secondary insurance at all practice facilities and tournament games. We also garauntee a minimum of 16 a-18 games of basketball but usually give them about 20 games.
To make a long story short we brought in a coach last yr who is also director of our parks and rec department . She like to do things her way. This year she tried to start practice early and I told her no not till March when all team(12) teams total could start. Since her team like to practice at her place of work she asked me for insurance which I said at time we have not chose yet (this was February 15) but would be in place by first practice. We get insurance through which ever basketball organization we alight our selfs with example Aau, usba, nbajr or Ntba which is organization we used last yr while in past have used Aau .well this lady called Aau found out we were not members which is true but I never told her we were Aau or going to pick them this year. She called her team at her work place last night and told all the parents that I was not providing insurance that they could not practice at rec department and that I stole there money and never paid insurance. She then had them write a check for a new basketball operation she formed. She was acting coach for my basketball club used my tryouts which these kids signed up for my program and ordered uniforms for and solicited dues from them all by telling lies about me behind my back. We had insurance last with Ntba( she knew this as we had tournament with insurance on file at her work I gave her document) and this yr I ordered insurance Friday morning before this meeting and lies took place so it would be in place when practice starts next week. She has poisoned the parents and now I have already paid for entire teams insurance for yr which I can't recoup. Most important Isi stop lies she is spreading and want to complain to dare county ( her employer) that as recreation director she has used poor judgement showing poor ethics and malicious intent to defame and slander my good name and program name !!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/27/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You can sue them for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement (you).

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in this matter.

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.