Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

From Deltona, Florida and Georgetown, Indiana. Currently, I

Customer Question
Hi. My name is Gail **from...
Hi.
My name is Gail **from Deltona, Florida and Georgetown, Indiana.
Currently, I am in my Deltona home (Snowbirds). My question is, What are my rights regarding people entering my home without invitation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
2/27/2016
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

Can you be more specific about the circumstances involved here? Are these people entering in your absence? Do you have any signs posted? Do you know who is entering your premises? Has anything been taken or has there been property damage inside of your home due to these people who entered?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They appear in our absence mostly in the evenings, as if they may be waiting
G for some one, I do not see them perhaps for a little yarn pieces left behind or an impression left behind (on a micro fleece blanket) or a slightly messed up bed as if I scared them or something. This morning I heard a loud "Ow" come from the hallway, I thought at first but there was nothing there but I put the lights on everywhere...no one, then , I recalled that I had moved the heavy metal trash in directly across my room, through the hall, and it was mostly un disturbed from the place I had moved it. I know this because it was setting on a rug which leaves an impression (on the rug), because rug is so fluffy .it's just a small rug that sets in front of sink. There were no footprints or any such thing. This has been going on for more than a few weeks. We are intelligent people, naive perhaps and you don't want to tell anyone for fear that may think you are loosing it. We do have a security system but don't turn it on a night but I have decided that turning on the system is no longer a choice but a necessity. Perhaps a couple of cameras also.If you would be kind enough to explain our rights (there is my husband and I only and 2 mini dachshunds who sleep with us and hide they're heads and quiver when then sense fear but a nite they sleep like farmers till about 5:30AM. This morning my dog pissed a little on the rug in my room right at the door, guess she heard something as share is very good about control. This was a 4:30 this morning. We do not have a firearm except for a bob rifle .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry....that was meant to be BB rifle. Didn't spell Ck.,

Thanks for the reply. If someone comes into your residence without your permission and authority, that's trespassing, and it is a criminal offense. If they come in with the intent to commit any sort of a crime inside your premises, that's a burglary, which is also a criminal offense.

If you are renting, you can report this to the landlord and/or the building manager. You can also report the crime to the police. However, you're correct that they may think you are imagining the incidents unless you can show evidence that this is happening. And, of course, nobody can be arrested for this unless you know who is doing it.

The obvious solution is what you've already said. Turn on your security system at night. That's when you're most vulnerable anyway. And, of course, turn it on when you're not home. Some inexpensive home surveillance cameras would also be of use here. Armed with results from these both your management and the police can stop these acts.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney