I am revisiting a cancelled wedding venue, which occurred in…

Customer Question
I am revisiting a cancelled...
I am revisiting a cancelled wedding venue, which occurred in 2009. The reason is that I have been told in the State of Washington there are certain rights that protect the consumer. We had given the Four Seasons Hotel in Seattle, WA a deposit, on 2/14/2009 in the amount of $3,000 for a wedding date in September. Unfortunately, we had to cancel, because the groom could not get the time off of work and was living out of the country. We cancelled shortly after the 2/14/2009 date. I did sign a non-refundable contract, but had asked the Four Seasons if they could give us a credit of some kind for a room, etc, which we were told no. I recently emailed the Four Seasons, now that we're back in the country and was told since I signed a non-refundable, that I was out the $3,000. Can you advise what steps I should take or who I should contact for information in the State of WA
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/27/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

A "non-refundable" deposit is non-refundable. (There are some limitations to this for very specific types of deposits, for example a "security deposit" placed on a residential (not commercial) rental agreement). But these exceptions do not extend to wedding or event venue deposits.

Furthermore, disputing a contract dispute that transpired 7 years ago is not going to be feasible as the statute of limitations is 6 years for disputing a breach of contract claim in the state of Washington.

You can try negotiating something with the venue to try to get them to cooperate with you (some sort of good will credit) but they are not obligated to provide you with any.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney