I build motorized bicycles, that are legal in the State of…

Customer Question
I build motorized bicycles, that...
I build motorized bicycles, that are legal in the State of California to be driven on public roads with no requirement of insurance, valid drivers license or registration. What liability insurance should I have to cover any equipment related injuries, even though in the sales contract is the same statement that Motorcycle Dealerships use to hold them and the manufacturer innocent of compensation of injuries for operating the motorcycle.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/26/2016
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Customer service asked me to assist. I am a member of the State Bar of California, the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Los Angeles, Ventura, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties), and the California and National Associations of Realtors.

The insurance you want to obtain is "product liability insurance." A lawsuit for product liability cannot be avoided by a customer liability waiver -- especially because there is no guarantee that the customer will be the person injured by your product. Any third-party rider/operator can sue you for their injuries, and your contractual waiver would be useless to protect you from a damage claim.

Also, if the operator is under the age of 18, then that person could have an independent claim against you, despite the waiver of their parent as part of the purchase of the vehicle.

Bot***** *****ne, if you don't have product liability insurance, then you are at extreme risk of legal action, should your product injure an operator (or, a bystander).

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer