My pet was removed from me at two people. I live in a senior…

Customer Question
My pet was removed from...
My pet was removed from me for lunging at two people. I live in a senior housing place. I have a Drs. order that asked for me to please be allowed to keep him for companionship as my daughter and husband had committed suicide earlier. people disregarded the order as a suggestion. I am crying and very depressed. Needed to get more meds. Can I do something?? They took my life away!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/26/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

What I'd suggest is hiring a local lawyer to send some letters to the management. If your doctor's note met the requirements of the law then they shouldn't have any problems getting them to reverse their decision.

If the doctor's note did not meet their requirements then the lawyer can help you draft a note for the doctor to sign that does meet the requirements and can then send the appropriate letter with it to put management "on notice" of the requirement that the dog be considered a service animal.

The only other issue I can see is that the management may require proof that the dog has been through the service dog training. This is an area of the law that isn't clear at this point and so the lawyer will have to respond to it as they see fit and based on what the other side says.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.