I had a subcontractor do a project residential construction…

Customer Question
I had a subcontractor do...
I had a subcontractor do a project for my residential construction company in Oct of 2011. I only paid a portion of the bill. How long do they have to come back and file for or ask for the balance? I will ill all 2014 2015 and now am trying to rebuild my business. But I need to clean up things.
Also I have not heard from them since 12/2014
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/26/2016
Lawyer: educatortech,
 replied 2 years ago
educatortech

Hello, my name is Greg.

I am not sure which state you are in but they have quite a bit of time in order to file a lien, suit for breach of contract, or arbitration.

Here is some CA pertinent information (although the basics would apply in most states).

Depending on the amount they may or may not decide to start proceedings for the money. It will cost them money as well to seek restitution so often they will weigh that against the amount that is owed.

Hope that helps.

If I told you Texas would that help

Lawyer: educatortech,
 replied 2 years ago

Sure does - CLICK HERE for some pertinent legal aspects related to Texas on the issue.

Lawyer: educatortech,
 replied 2 years ago

Be sure to rate my response when satisfied as that is the only way I receive credit for my help on your question. :)

Thank you, ***** ***** article does not indicate a time line for filing a lien not does it speak filing in small claims court.

Any answers

Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

In Texas they have up to 4 years to file a claim in either district or small claims court depending on the amount.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise we only get paid if there is a positive rating.