KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I built a house on a new lot 10 years ago. I have not payed

Customer Question

i built a house on a new lot 10 years ago. I have not payed or received an electrical bill ever. now i was given notice to contact the electric company. what should i say?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. All states have statutes of limitations on consumer debt, and utility usage is an open type of credit (not to be confused with use of the term "open" when referencing an account status), which are being due in full upon billing, even if there is no written contract for services.

The statute of limitation (SOL) may apply here as a defense to collection. The date of commencement of the SOL will be the date they assert you became in arrears. They may consider SOL as a defense to your lack of payments, if not then let them bring action and support that assertion before a judge.

So, you should call them to see what they are asking for in terms of payments, and assert the SOL defense. I hope this helps with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that answer.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. Please rate this answer.