How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2183
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My livin-girl friend moved out with her two kids. I put her

Customer Question

my livin-girl friend moved out with her two kids. I put her on the deed to the house in case something happened to me and to assist her in her custody case against her X husband. she never made a payment on the house, or for taxes, maintenance food utilities even cleaning supplies. after taking with her property of mine she now wants half the equity of the house. can I sue her for the cost of her attorneys in custody case and a car I bought her which she never made a payment on all of which we agreed when i paid for them she would re-pay.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I live in illinois. we lived together for 7 years. I paid 305 for the house before the housing market crashed. house is worth about 240 I owe about 180. so I actually lost money not taking into consideration the money I spent to maintain and fix up. do I have a case to get her to quit claim the house for abandonment (how long must she be gone) or to reduce the amount of equity she is holding ransome
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am really sorry to hear this. Unfortunately she does have a legit interest in the house based on you voluntarily putting her on the deed. However, you may be able to seek any money you have paid both to the house maintenance and mortgage payments and on her behalf such as her attorney costs. By you filing suit for these damages it may offset any money she might get out of an equity division of the house. Sometimes just suing will force her to the table to mediate something that makes sense.