How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4497
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I t a stop sign and I reported to my insurance company but I

Customer Question

Hi I hit a stop sign and I reported to my insurance company but I did not contact any authority. Is that OK?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

Hello. In what state was this and was the sign damaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am in California
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

And was the sign actually damaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was hit down
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Technically, since there was property damage, the fact that it was not reported could violate the law against hit and runs:

(scroll down to 20002)

You are supposed to stop and report any property damage to the owner of the property after a collision, and that actually includes non-vehicle property like mailboxes, signs, etc. In the case of a sign being knocked over, generally reporting it to the police suffices, since they typically work for the city/county that owns the sign.

At this point it is pretty unlikely that they will come after you, since you weren't caught and this sort of thing actually happens fairly regularly. I doubt your insurance company will report it either. But generally you are supposed to report property damage after an accident.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm really worried that I will get in bad troubles. Allstate tells me they gonna take care of everything but I am still worried.This is the first time I had an accident.
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't worry too much at this point. There's no way to guarantee that nothing will come of this, but it seems unlikely at this point. Likely all that had to be done was for a crew to simply re-erect the sign, so it is unlikely that the city or county will pursue this and try to track down the person who knocked it over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My friends said there is camera at the spot so I am so afraid. Would this have any bad influence on me, like bad record?
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

If you are charged and convicted it could give you a misdemeanor record. If you are charged, I would suggest obtaining an attorney...with a first offense it is possible that a lawyer could work out a deal where you would pay for the damage in exchange for a dismissal to keep your record clean. At this point nothing will go on your is only if you are actually charged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How likely is a charge going to happen for my situation? Should I call the police now?
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

I don't think it is tremendously likely. As I said, it is more likely that they'd just fix the sign without making an issue of it. I can't tell you what to do in terms of calling the police. On one hand, if you were going to be charged, they might cut you a break for self-reporting it, but if they weren't going to make an effort to track you down, calling the police just puts yourself in a position where they might charge you when you confess. If you decide to talk to the police, I would suggest taking a lawyer with you to protect you and your rights. But I can't advise you what to do...this is a site for information, not advice.