Why should my boarding from time to time omit the Pre-Check?

Customer Question
On 2/22 I flew Delta...
Why should my boarding from time to time omit the Pre-Check? On 2/22 I flew Delta to Milwaukee with Pre-Check, but return on Delta on 2/24, boarding pass omitted Pre-Check. I went to find KTN, but TSA could not find my number. I have been approved for years.
Edward L Mauney
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/25/2016
Lawyer: Cerecita,
 replied 2 years ago
Cerecita

Hello, Edward and thanks for your question.

TSA Precheck is a randomized system. Not every passenger who has Precheck will get chosen to participate in expedited screening on every flight. This is done to further enhance security measures. I know it's frustrating, but this is how they work. Please read the following from a TSA website:

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

"TSA incorporates unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no passenger is guaranteed expedited screening."

-----------

Make sure that every airline you fly, has your KTN and knows you have Precheck, so it can be entered into your profile with those airlines.

I guess it was just 'the luck of the draw' that on this particular flight, you were approved for Precheck on your outbound flight, but not on your return flight. It also may have been an error on the part of the reservations agent who made your arrangements.

I hope you get Precheck on all your upcoming flights!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest regards,
Cher

This is no answer to my question. I know people that are always on pre-check. When I inquired, TSA can not even find my KTN. When it was first started, I i.e. rolled and got a PASSID number before they changed to KTN
Lawyer: Cerecita,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi again, Edward.

I have a question for you: did you enroll in TSA Precheck separately, or do you have a PASSID and have GOES or another international travel card?

When you apply for GOES, you automatically are also enrolled in Precheck, this is why they may not have a KTN for you. Your PASSID serves as your KTN as well, when you have both GOES and Precheck.

If you want to check your KTN number, since no one could locate it, go to this website and fill in the details:

https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/workflows?workflow=service-status&servicecode=11115V

-----------------

You can also call Universal Enrollment Service at ***-***-****.

If it doesn't come up on the webpage inquiry, you may only need to use your PASSID for future flights; however, if you applied for Precheck over 5 years ago, you will have to reapply, as it's only good for 5 years.

Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Warmest wishes,

Cher