We allowed our son to live in family home believing he would…

Customer Question
We allowed our son to...
We allowed our son to live in family home believing he would pay the yearly taxes. We recently learned that he was using drugs often becoming incapacitated and incompetent to handle or be responsible for bills. We found out recently that he had not been paying the yearly taxes for years, yet he often told us that he had. The home has been sold. Do we have any legal protection to get the family home back?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/25/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Good evening. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. The owner or mortgage holder or any other interested party has a two (2) year redemption period in which to redeem the Tax Sale. As such, if you have the money, you can pay what is owed and get the home back, legally. As far as the reason for which it was sold ( i.e. his failure to pay the taxes and drug use), that would not be a defense to the tax sale but if there was an agreement for him to pay them and he did not and you were damaged, you can sue him.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney