Our Office moved and the moving company billed us trucks, 12…

Customer Question
Our Office moved and the...
Our Office moved and the moving company billed us for 3 trucks, 12 men for 8 hours, which we paid in full. During the time of the move our company requested that one of the trucks and 3 of the men move some of our office furniture to a storage unit. The moves did so however now we are receiving an additional charge bill for 3 men, 1 truck for an additional 8 hours. My company is fine paying travel expenses and a small disposal fee, but how can this company charge for the same 3 men and 1 truck at an additional hourly rate?? When we tried to dispute this with the moving company, they kept juggling us around and stating that we owed them this money, without supplying us with a full explanation of the additional charges. Now, upon review of our credit card statement the moving company charged our card for the additional fees without our authorization! Is any of this legal??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/24/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

It can be legal if you agreed to it in the initial or a subsequent contract.

Often the movers contracts are based on a time and personnel allotment but they don't actually use that exact amount of time or personnel. Thus, it is possible that a person is billed for the same personnel.

However, this is only if that is in the contract and you agreed to it. Otherwise, it would either be a breach of contract or it wouldn't be a contract at all and you wouldn't necessarily be required to pay it.

To know for sure you are going to need to get a local lawyer to review all of the paperwork including any emails or correspondence.

Thank you for your response. The original payment was for 12 men for 8 hours of labor. The trip to the storage unit was made on the same date of the move and was done during their 8 hour work day here at our office. There was no additional time spent and no additional men (over the original 12 men and 8 hours we paid for) allocated to move the furniture to storage. Also, is it legal for the moving company to charge are credit card the additional fee when we did not sign an authorization and specifically told the company rep that they did not have our authorization to do so until we reach a full understanding of the additional charges?

It may not be a valid charge but you're going to have to look at the agreements to be sure. Most moving company agreements have language that allows them to bill for extra charges or changes.

It's not likely to be pursued as a criminal matter but it could very well be a breach of contract or bad faith civil lawsuit.