Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Im looking to import some glass water pipes from china and

Customer Question

Im looking to import some glass water pipes from china and wanted to check the legality of the whole thing
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am planning on importing glass water pipes for use with tobacco however i have read some articles stating that its illegal however these articles are very old
JA: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.
Customer: and my pieces are broken down into small sections so they look nothing like standard water pipes ***@******.***
JA: OK. Are you ready to speak with the Lawyer now?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: ok
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under 21 US 863, the importation of drug paraphernalia is illegal. This according to US Customs and Border Patrol includes water pipes, which while people claim they are for tobacco, are primarily used to smoke illegal substances. Thus, legally, you cannot import the water pipes and they can be seized by CBP upon arrival.
If you want to bring in parts SEPARATELY so that they are not identified as a water pipe and the parts can be used for other purposes, then you can import them that way, which will significantly increase your import costs. However, if anything you import can be identified as a water pipe, then it is unlawful to import them into the US.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My parts are broken down into sections. They dont look like anything from a water pipe until assembled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
although still illegal do you think its still likely for them to be seized
Thank you for your reply.
If you can bring them in for use as something else, you would have to import them separately, not in the same shipment, in order to avoid CBP claiming they are indeed illegal paraphernalia. If you ship the parts all in the same shipment at the same time, then yes, there is a high likelihood they will be seized.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, my last question would be if i want to bring them in as something else. Do i go to DHL or some shipping company to explain what they do/ how do i make it so CBP will see the diagram i have made of what they are
Thank you for your reply.
If you want to bring them in as something else, then when you go to the shipping company you would have to declare what they are. You do not need to submit a diagram, you just need to declare what they are and what they are used for (other than tobacco or drugs of course), such as glass tubing for art or whatever is reasonable based on what the part looks like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a hookah legally considered a water pipe?
Thank you for your reply.
No, a hookah is considered a different type of pipe for smoking special tobacco.