I am just trying to find out if and the National Legal

Customer Question
I am just trying to...
I am just trying to find out if Kevin Mason and the National Legal Support Staff are a scam, and if instead of a real attorney to help us challenge NAVIENT -- we may have stumbled out of a pot and into the fire.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/24/2016
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

Do you have a website for this company? Do you know in which state Kevin Mason is practicing law?

Sorry, I was just sending you several e-mails. But it clearly says "no reply"
Please throw me an e-mail address so that I can backfill you on some of the essentials.(also, please note that your Just Answers system could not handle the AmEx card, so I shifted to a Discover. Sorry it took me so long to get those two issues under control, and I look forward to working with you.
I have severe limitations here at my office due to cyberwarfare considerations and subsequent restrictions. I believe he may have a direct website of: www.kevinmasonlaw.comI cannot access either that one or the one in the signature block below from my account manager:"
April-Rose Garcia / Legal Assistant***@******.***National Legal Staffing Support LLC
Office:(###) ###-####/Direct(###) ###-####/ Fax:(###) ###-####
455 N.E. 5th Avenue, Suite D/290, Delray Beach, FL 33483
http://nationallegalstaffsupport.com
"They seem to be a support staff for attorneys/lawyers and not actually the lawyer's offices.NAVIENT is getting testy and I have not received my copy of the "this guy is my client, so talk to me" letter supposedly sent to NAVIENT by Kevin Mason.VR,
DGM
David G. Maylum
Sr Operations Research Analyst
Studies & Analysis Team -- and O&S Analysis SME
Cost & Analysis Branch
AC PROG staff; MARCORSYSCOMO:(###) ###-####(not often there; BB better, if coverage exists)
BB:(###) ###-####
Please note that there is a known bad actor with the same name associated with the IRS.This Kevin Mason claims to be a lawyer in the student loan (and other debt, too) resolution (and if necessary, litigation) business.Some of my research seems to give him a clean bill of integrity (although, I am not seeing much on his actual success rate). Some of my research makes him seem a little sketchy. Hence, my reaching out to you all for a quick assessment as to whether he is legit.The process has been that they have set up an escrow into which Andrew has been paying a portion of what he would have been paying to NAVIENT while his loans are disputed. I am a co-signer on several and want to not hinder the possibility of negotiating something. However, as a federal employee I must protect my employability and security clearance. Not paying my just debts could become a SERIOUS issue.NAVIENT has given me until Monday to respond to their last voice message.I have given Kevin until Friday to get me a copy of the correspondences between his office and NAVIENT on my behalf.I'm just getting nervous.

Your timing isn't good, as I'm running out in about 10 minutes and won't be back for several hours.

What I see right off the top is that Kevin Mason is licensed to practice in the state of Florida and the address he has on file with his bar association matches the address on his website. He is a member in good standing, and was admitted to the bar in 2000.

There is a National Legal Staffing Support registered with the Florida Secretary of State. The LLC was incorporated in Delaware in March 2015. So it's a new company. You can find more about it on the link I gave you. The website was launched in February 2015, and it has been registered for 5 years which is a sign that it plans on sticking around. It's a pre-litigation support service and not in and of itself a law firm. It's unknown to the Better Business Bureau.

On a very quick pass, it appears legitimate. I'll look more closely when I return. Meanwhile, feel free to post follow ups to this thread which I can address once I'm back.

Go for your meeting.
Sorry, that my cell phone coverage wasn't good enough to get you through.
my desk number is(###) ###-#### ***** I am rarely there.
We can continue via e-mail or this site.
When you get back from your meeting, I will be off to one of my own. Therefore, tomorrow may be better (especially in the morning, 0900-1200).I am currently pursuing info from the Florida Attorney General's office.

Not a meeting. Just a long overdue haircut and color. I'm back.

Email or phone isn't available except as a premium service for which there is an additional fee. I can send you a service offer for the email. If you want it, you can accept it and we can exchange information. If not, that's fine too. We can continue on this thread for what you already have paid.

I have found something that concerns me. The only Kevin ***** *****censed in Florida is a solo practitioner. The information he has given the bar gives an office address for him and a phone number. It also says that his specialties are Family Law, Labor and Employment Law, Real Property, Probate Law. The phone number traces to Kevin Mason but it appears to be a home rather than an office number.

The website gives a different email number, a different office phone number,and a different specialty. It also has a different office suite address. It may be that he has not updated his information with his licensing authority. It may also be that someone has borrowed his name.

Contacting the Florida State Attorney General's Office to look into a complaint history is a good idea.

http://thecollegeinvestor.com/317/top-student-loan-scams/
this site has a whole section on "Law Firm Lawsuit Student Loan Scam"
I need to head off to my meeting.
thanks for your info so far.
I am happy with this back-and-forth via the website portal.
I was talking with one of their phone-answering folks and tried to indicate that I figured out that they were actually a separate entity than the lawyer himself -- she was pretty adamant that they were "his office." It could just be semantics, and I can understand why an attorney may choose to employ a service rather than establish an actual office. However, it certainly raises questions in my mind.

I'm aware that debt relief in general, student loan relief in particular, is a very high scam area. The Federal Trade Commission is also aware that this is a high scam area and have been addressing abuses and illegalities when it finds them.

The website you gave me, kevinmasonlaw.com was only launched on April 21, 2015. It was registered for one year only, the least amount of time you can get a domain name for. The site will expire if not renewed in a month. It's not characteristic of a business that expects to be around for the long haul to register a site for one year only. It's always suspicious. You can find the information about the website by going to www.domaintools.com and looking up the WHOIS.

If you are referring to the live phone call option, then -- yes.
If something else, then -- no.I really have to get to my meeting. If you could provide points of contact info regarding the FTC or other fraud/scam investigation organizations with whom I should coordinate, that would be most helpful. Thanks.Although it does not seem to be good news, it looks like I have a real problem to address.

No, I was referring to the link I sent you which were to a number of people who were approached by Kevin Mason Law.

I also linked you to a federal trade commission report. Perhaps it's your office computer that won't let you see the links.

Here are some links with contact information in this area:

http://blog.ed.gov/2014/07/beware-of-student-loan-debt-relief-offers-and-credit-repair-deals/

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0160-student-loans

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/personal-finance/student-loan-repayment-scams-how-avoid-being-ripped-n166781