If a lawyer on the cash basis of accounting receives a

Customer Question
retainer from a client and...
If a lawyer on the cash basis of accounting receives a retainer from a client and then places that retainer into a client trust account, does the lawyer recognize the entire retainer as income when it is received or only as it is earned? Do you know what specific code sections or IRS guidance/rules talk about this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/24/2016
Lawyer: Attorney-Expert, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attorney-Expert
Attorney-Expert, Attorney

The retainer would be taxable when received. IRM 4.10.4 discusses it in full. This can be found here:

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Attorneys-Audit-Technique-Guide-Chapter-3

The Irs has specifically referenced this exact situation with attorneys. More about this can be found here:

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please do not forget to provide my service with a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Have a wonderful rest of your day.