I was helping a friend send funds, and her uncle sent me…

Customer Question
Hello, i was helping a friend...
i was helping a friend send funds, and her uncle sent me wire transfers to my bank account, and i made the withdrawals with cashiers checks and deposit them into accounts. Turns out that the wire transfers were fraud. my friend and i never thought it would be fraud. i am the victim here. Can i be convicted for this crime?
Thanks for your time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/24/2016
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

Have you filed a police report yet?

No, but i will be seeing a detective that reached out to me that confirmed the wire transfers were fraud. he wants me to give him any information that i have cashiers checks and deposits slips, etc. i was caught by surprise that it was fraud. Can i still be convicted for fraud? I am a victim in this but it was my personal bank account.

You cannot be convicted without proof that you intended to defraud the bank. I agree, you are a victim and not a criminal.

Still, it is never a good idea to speak with the police without having your own attorney present.

Your bank seems to have been negligent in honoring the fraudulent wire transfers and I suggest that you consult an attorney about suing the bank to recover the funds you lost because of the bank's negligence and the fraud by the Uncle.

You can get a free consultation from some of the banking attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

this is very helpful. If I were to get an attorney. Doesn't that make me look guilty? This is my first run in with the law, ever so it makes me nervous.

Getting an attorney does not make you look guilty, it makes you look cautious and smart.