Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Our son borrowed our car (we live in Colorado) last August.

Customer Question
He lives in the L...
Our son borrowed our car (we live in Colorado) last August. He lives in the L. A. area and was suppose to return it in October and he hasn't. He refuses to communicate with us. We do not want to continue paying insurance on the car (full coverage) if he won't return it. Are we still liable for it if he has an accident and we cancel our insurance? Do you have an advice on what we can do? Thank you, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
2/24/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Are we still liable for it if he has an accident and we cancel our insurance? Do you have an advice on what we can do?

.

If the car is titled in your name, and he has an accident, then you can be held liable due to being the owner of the car that is being driven without insurance. If it was in his name, then he would be liable.

.

This depends on how tough you want to be with him. You could file a police report and report the car stolen since he won't return it. Then if he is stopped by the police they will arrest him and charge him with grand theft auto for having a car that was reported stolen in his possession.

.

If you didn't want to go that route, then you could contact a private investigator to track him down, get a duplicate key made from the dealer based on the VIN number on the title, and then go out there and just drive the car back leaving him to walk.

.

Or if you can locate him, you could contact a repo company to go and pick up the car and then pick it up from them..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney