My name is lucas ong,19,from singapore,i was wondering if i…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** ong,19,from singapore,i was wondering if i can sue for libel/defamation/slander against my friend's parent,she implied that i was a pedophile and would "report" me for harrasment of my friend even though my friend is still willing to talk to me,she did it through text messaging

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

No i have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.

Customer:***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Are you ready to speak with the Lawyer now?

Alright sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/24/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am really sorry to hear this. While I think those accusations are rude and unacceptable they probably do not constitute grounds for a legal claim of defamation. First, there has to be a public dissemination of the information. Text messages would not be a public disbursal of the false information. Second, you have to prove some damages i.e. you lost a job or got arrested as a result of the statements. I understand your concern. YOu could file for a restraining order against this person to cut off them from contacting you or making statements about you in the future.