How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own, in tenancy in common (25%), a piece of ubdeveloped

Customer Question

I own, in tenancy in common (25%), a piece of ubdeveloped land in Antelope Valley, City of Lancaster, California. I want to sell, my coowner does not want to sell, or buy me out.
What would it cost me to force a partition through the court, and how do I get started?
Niels Kjaer-Pedersen, Los Gatos, CA(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

HERE are the rules/procedures for a Partition in California. HERE is a form for the actual partition. This would be the pleading that is filed with the Court to begin the process.

Using counsel, the case would normally run about $5,000 minimum for attorney fees for an uncontested case (where the co-owner simply does not respond, but responds but quickly agrees to a settlement), but likely more than $5,000 for attorney fees if the case is litigated. This does not include legal fees.

Without counsel, only the legal fees remain which may run into a few thousand (filing fees, deposition, discovery, miscellaneous, etc).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!