Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

2 fairly quick questions - In 2004, (and I'm still ashamed)

Customer Question
I was convicted of a...
2 fairly quick questions - In 2004, (and I'm still ashamed) I was convicted of a felony, and I was used to be made as an example. My name was well known, and the local judge recused himself because he knew me, too. I got a "hanging judge" and surprised me with 45 days in jail. My crime: attempting to obtain drugs by fraud. - I tried to pass a phony 'script for pain meds, I was hooked on them, obviously, and despite 21 letters of support from important people, cooperating 100% with the cops, 28 days of rehab, etc. etc. I got hit hard. Now, I've been asked to run for public office, (city commissioner, then, it's hoped, mayor) Can I HOLD PUBLIC OFFICE with a felony conviction ? (I understand any opponent will use this ) AND ALSO, I had a lawyer tell me I lost my right to vote (I've continued to vote on every election) IS THIS TRUE ? -Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
2/23/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

1. Regarding your voting rights: Michigan has an "absolute voting right" - in which felons are prohibited from voting while incarcerated, their right to vote is immediately restored upon release from prison.
  2. Right to run for public office: There is no prohibition on felons running for public office (as you noted, your opponent may legitimately bring your record into question, so your campaign will want to be prepared to address this, but there is no prohibition on your holding office).

See generally: http://michigancriminalattorney.com/rights-people-lose-consequences-convicted-felony-michigan/ for a list of rights and limitations for felons following conviction and release.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I knew the answer would be simple (for you) to find, thanks. I think I'll use "Esq." after my name, too. ( just messing with you ) if you deal with me, the 1st thing you'll learn is my sense of humor is my biggest asset. It also keeps me going, thru a LOT of recent VERY difficult events. I will always call in the future. -Charlie Stuckey

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with your candidacy.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney