Is it possible close relative (brother) or lawyer to appear…

Customer Question
Hello, Is it possible for a...
Is it possible for a close relative (brother) or lawyer to appear in court in place of accused individual in a court summon? The reason being is because the accused individual is over-seas and would need to fly in to the States for this matter. The charge is driving with a revoked registration due to not having insurance.
Would like to follow up with other questions regarding the matter if possible.
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/23/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

A lawyer can represent the individual in court.

However, you would need to carefully check the summons and see if a personal appearance is necessary (a lawyer will probably be able to get the personal appearance waived for this matter given the circumstances).

A relative (no matter how close), however, cannot appear on behalf of another person unless that relative is also a member of the bar (licensed attorney) in the state where the court is located.