How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible close relative (brother) or lawyer to appear

Customer Question

Is it possible for a close relative (brother) or lawyer to appear in court in place of accused individual in a court summon? The reason being is because the accused individual is over-seas and would need to fly in to the States for this matter. The charge is driving with a revoked registration due to not having insurance.
Would like to follow up with other questions regarding the matter if possible.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

A lawyer can represent the individual in court.

However, you would need to carefully check the summons and see if a personal appearance is necessary (a lawyer will probably be able to get the personal appearance waived for this matter given the circumstances).

A relative (no matter how close), however, cannot appear on behalf of another person unless that relative is also a member of the bar (licensed attorney) in the state where the court is located.