I red a lawyer to assist me in collecting unpaid rent. the…

Customer Question
I hired a lawyer to...
I hired a lawyer to assist me in collecting unpaid rent. the lawyer asked me for a deposit to being work on my case. Thirty days later, no complaint has been filed, the lawyer keeps giving me no answers, no copies of documents, doesn't return my calls and doesn't know how to use spell-check on text messages. I asked for the return of my refund but the lawyer is not responding to my phone calls (left phone messages on her service), and emailed her. What can I do,? how long do I need to before I file a small claims complaint and most importantly, how do I contact the California State bar association?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/23/2016
Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Hammer O'Justice

Hello.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You can either call or file a complaint against the lawyer here:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/FilingaComplaint.aspx

In order to help with the investigation, be as detailed as possible in terms of dates of contact, etc.

There is no real time limit you have to wait to file an action. I would suggest, however, adopting a more formalized approach to notifying her that she has been terminated, the reasons for it. and requesting the return of the deposit...namely by sending one copy via first-class mail and one copy via certified mail. Include a deadline by which you want the money returned and if you still don't hear from her, you can decide how to proceed at that point. While there is no "official" time period to wait before filing an action, it is best to show that you made formal good-faith efforts to get the money returned without going to court. It is also possible that in the interim, the State Bar investigation may encourage her to return your money faster so you don't have to waste your time going to small claims court and filing an action.