How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4500
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I red a lawyer to assist me in collecting unpaid rent. the

Customer Question

I hired a lawyer to assist me in collecting unpaid rent. the lawyer asked me for a deposit to being work on my case. Thirty days later, no complaint has been filed, the lawyer keeps giving me no answers, no copies of documents, doesn't return my calls and doesn't know how to use spell-check on text messages. I asked for the return of my refund but the lawyer is not responding to my phone calls (left phone messages on her service), and emailed her. What can I do,? how long do I need to before I file a small claims complaint and most importantly, how do I contact the California State bar association?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.


I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You can either call or file a complaint against the lawyer here:

In order to help with the investigation, be as detailed as possible in terms of dates of contact, etc.

There is no real time limit you have to wait to file an action. I would suggest, however, adopting a more formalized approach to notifying her that she has been terminated, the reasons for it. and requesting the return of the deposit...namely by sending one copy via first-class mail and one copy via certified mail. Include a deadline by which you want the money returned and if you still don't hear from her, you can decide how to proceed at that point. While there is no "official" time period to wait before filing an action, it is best to show that you made formal good-faith efforts to get the money returned without going to court. It is also possible that in the interim, the State Bar investigation may encourage her to return your money faster so you don't have to waste your time going to small claims court and filing an action.