In my federal civil suit I was allowed to admend my original…

Customer Question
in my federal civil suit...
in my federal civil suit I was allowed to admend my original suit for age and disability discrimination suit court said it lacked a claim and relief what does that mean in layman terms what is relief mean
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/22/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Relief is what you're asking the judge to do in response to your Complaint. There is usually a separate "Prayer for Relief" section at the end of a Complaint where you ask for monetary damages, an injunction, reinstatement, back pay etc. Whatever you're asking for goes in that section. It's usually at the end. Try looking at some sample complaints to get common wording.

A claim means that the facts presented in the Complaint have to establish that someone legally wronged you. If I gave someone $500 as a gift and then sued to get it back, there's no cause of action there, because a gift doesn't have to be repaid. So, in your case, there have to be enough facts stated in the Complaint for a person to read it and, assuming all the facts are true, find that you suffered age and disability discrimination. That's going to require stating how old you are and what your disability is, in addition to the negative acts you experienced AND an allegation that whatever you experienced was motivated by your age and/or your disability.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.