How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27052
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What to do if a police officer get you to sign something

Customer Question

What to do if a police officer get you to sign something when you're not in the right state of mind
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


What is it that you signed? Were you arrested or charged with a crime because of what you signed? Please respond here o this question thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well my bother in-law got arrested he was in a car wreck and they said that he denied medical attention and that he signed some type of paper work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering was there a statue that he can file because he doesn't remember the wreck or signing that paper and he is locked up
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the delay.

I don't know what the paperwork said, but if it affects his case, he would be able to challenge whatever it is he signed on the basis that he did not have the ability at the time to understand what he was signing or make a knowing and voluntary waiver of his rights. For example, if the papers he signed involved admissions about the incident brought on by improper questioning by the police, his lawyer would be able to get a pre-trial hearing to keep those admissions or confession from being used against him at trial.

If your brother-in-law has been arrested and is still incarcerated, he will probably have a free lawyer appointed to him who could file the motion at the appropriate time. If he needs medical attention, and that's what your question is about, the judge can order that he be treated.