Is it possible to invoke a statewide referendum through

Customer Question
petition? If yes, how many...
Is it possible to invoke a statewide referendum through petition? If yes, how many signatures are required, and how is this done?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/21/2016
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

First I suggest, you will need of obtain the number of votes cast in the last Gubernatorial election. You will get that number from the State Election Board. You will need to obtain 3/4 of those voters for a viable Petition to Referendum. So when you find out from the Election Board, the number of total votes cast in that last governor's election make sure you verify with the board, the exact number of legitimate signatures you need.

Now, keep in mind, that some signatures may be disqualified and so you should always attempt to get more signatures than you need. In other words, leave yourself enough breathing room so once there are names that are not counted because of some disqualifier you still have the number you need.

You can read this LINK here for the Texas Statute on the matter. And also this LINK from the Texas Secretary of State for the process.

Also keep in mind, that when presenting a petition for register voters to sign, each sheet of the Petition MUST have the question printed at the top of each page. This is important otherwise the Board can through out the entire sheet on the premise that the people who signed had no idea what they were signing.

So for instance - THERE WILL BE A STATEMENT AT THE TOP OF THE PETITION. AND THEN THE QUESTION AS YOU WANT IT TO APPEAR ON THE BALLOT. Below that you will then begin your signature lines

SIGNATURE and DATE FULL NAME ` ADDRESS DATE OF BIRTH COUNTY OF REGISTRATION

The Signature can only be signed by the voter. All other information can be filled in by someone else at the voter's request.

Those links I provide explain in full the specifications and requirements for it to be a legitimate signature.