Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Sir, J. and I have this problem with Social Security about

Customer Question

Sir, my name is***** and I have this problem with Social Security about having to p ay back money that I received, I"m making just min. wages not big dollars and I need all the money I receive and soon I'm having to go in for HIP SURGERY and my Boss is saying that I stand a good chance I will loss my job as a painter- my bills are small but I need what I make and receive. The Doctor is saying I'll be recovery time 6weeks then in a walker for 3 months before I can think about working again.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to write an appeal to the director of SSA and attach a financial statement showing the extreme financial hardship and ask the director to waive the reimbursement of the over payment, this is all you can do. The director of the SSA has authority to waive repayment for good cause of significant financial hardship, which they do not do often, but it is the only option you have regarding this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as a Hardship case (extreme) I don't know how well to tell my story other than the true- my bills are about 2500.00 and my rent is 600.00 and my monthly bills are about another 1200.00 monthly my income is about 600.00 monthly and my S.S.A. is only 745.00 monthly, as you can see there is hardly any money and if I lose my job I'm really screwed as far as bills and income!!!
Thank you for your reply.
The truth is all you can explain to the director of SS to ask for them to waive the repayment. They will look to verify what you tell them, so just tell them all of the truth to show how much of a hardship the repayment is.