How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19673
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters friend is being emotionally abused by her

Customer Question

My daughters friend is being emotionally abused by her stepmother. Recently she has been suicidal and yesterday her stepmother told her to go ahaed and commit suicide. We have offered to take her in. School and law enforcement have been contacted. They have asked us to talk to dad and request she move in with us. What do we need to do legally to protect her. Medical rights...educational rights.. Etc.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The father needs to consent to you having formal Guardianship. You would need to petition for Guardianship and file Motion for Temporary Guardianship so that you have formal custody of her while the permanent Guardianship goes through the system. With the Temporary Guardianship you can begin to make decisions for her with regard to medical, education, etc. For guardianship forms and instructions, click on the link below:

In the alternative, an agreement for custody (listing the terms of your agreement, financial support, duration of the agreement) can also be drafted and signed by you and the father, notarized in front of Notary Public, and then submitted to the Court for approval so that you can use that to enroll her in school and make other decisions for her. It is prudent to get an Attorney to prepare the custody agreement.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys who handle custody and guardianship issues: