My daughters friend is being emotionally abused by her

Customer Question
stepmother. Recently she has been...
My daughters friend is being emotionally abused by her stepmother. Recently she has been suicidal and yesterday her stepmother told her to go ahaed and commit suicide. We have offered to take her in. School and law enforcement have been contacted. They have asked us to talk to dad and request she move in with us. What do we need to do legally to protect her. Medical rights...educational rights.. Etc.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/20/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

The father needs to consent to you having formal Guardianship. You would need to petition for Guardianship and file Motion for Temporary Guardianship so that you have formal custody of her while the permanent Guardianship goes through the system. With the Temporary Guardianship you can begin to make decisions for her with regard to medical, education, etc. For guardianship forms and instructions, click on the link below:

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=103

In the alternative, an agreement for custody (listing the terms of your agreement, financial support, duration of the agreement) can also be drafted and signed by you and the father, notarized in front of Notary Public, and then submitted to the Court for approval so that you can use that to enroll her in school and make other decisions for her. It is prudent to get an Attorney to prepare the custody agreement.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys who handle custody and guardianship issues:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com