Health insurance cancelled for "non-payment". (I'm an expert…

Customer Question
Health insurance cancelled for "non-payment". (I'm...
Health insurance cancelled for "non-payment".
(I'm an expert here in a few categories, but I have no idea what category it should be in.)
Timeline as I see it now, although some information may come in retroactively.
Blue Shield tried to bill my credit card in December 28 and on January 12 for one month's premium of a Covered California policy. I have no idea why the bills failed.
They billed again on February 3 or 4 for two months, and it was denied because the credit request didn't reach the bank until around February 9, and the card was lost February 5. (It was later found, but....)
I didn't keep all the demand letters which I thought had been paid, but the ones I have left are a bill (dated February 9) for 3 months premium due February 29, and a letter (also dated February 9) which states that they tried to bill 2 months premium on February 8, and I had to make a payment "before the grace period ends on 3/14/2016".
I called today to make a payment, and they said they had recalculated the grace period and it ended February 14; they coordinated with Covered California and said Blue Shield's computer had received (on February 16) an authorization from Covered California's computer to cancel the policy; claiming the grace period is 30 days as there was no Advanced Premium Credit (APC) on file (as I wasn't sure I would be eligible). They said the normal grace period is 90 days. Some of this information was from the first-line call agent, and some from a supervisor.
I talked with Covered California, and _they_ said from their end, there was no possible truth to the statements (in regard Blue Shield's contacts with Covered California), but that Covered California couldn't do anything about _claims_ of cancellation for non-payment, and suggested I escalate the matter at Blue Shield. While I was taking to the person at Covered California, I reinstated an APC, which the agent said should be in today's file transfer.
Does anyone here have ideas what I should do next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/19/2016
Lawyer: RONB-ESQ, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You might take a look at this from the California Code of Regulations. https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/IBDD5F39092EC11E4B3C2D8919EFA5EBB?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=%28sc.Default%29

Unfortunately according to that it appears that with proper notice the grace period is 30 days. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you would like another expert to look into this just let me know and I will opt out so it goes back to the group at large.

Regards,

RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer