My understanding of possesion ie: ACLU is that just because…

Customer Question
My understanding of possesion ie...
My understanding of possesion ie: ACLU is that just because something is in your car doesn't mean it's neccesarily yours
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/19/2016
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

That's correct. Something found in your car does not necessarily mean it's yours. That doesn't mean you can't get charged with possession of contraband, if that's what you're asking, because it's reasonable to think that if it's in your car, it may be yours, and that's all the state needs to charge you. However, if a jury were to believe that it could reasonably be someone else's, you would have to be acquitted of the charge.