When issuing a subpoena, if you do not know the persons home…

Customer Question
When issuing a subpoena, if...
When issuing a subpoena, if you do not know the persons home address but you know their work address can you list the work address on the subpoena and have it served at their job? Also if you want to subpoena a person to be allowed to copy contracts and other documents BEFORE the court date can you list a time and place to be able to do that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/18/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There's no law that prevents serving someone with a subpoena at work. If you're calling the person as a witness you want to give favorable testimony, though, consider whether they'll be embarrassed by being served at work and whether it's possible to have them served at home (assuming they're not avoiding your subpoena).

When you're looking for contracts and other documents, they have 30 days to produce them from the date the subpoena is served. You're not able to specify a date before that, but you can specify the place to which you want the documents delivered. If you'd rather inspect/copy them yourself, then you can state on the subpoena that they must make the documents available at the location you specify on a given date - it just has to be 30 days out.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.