I recently discovered that a loan that was taken out by my…

Customer Question
I recently discovered that a...
I recently discovered that a loan that was taken out by my boyfriend is showing up on my credit score. I have also learned that he does not intend to pay this loan as he is awaiting the department of veteran affairs to pay it on his behalf but it can be awhile. He had surgery from injuries sustained over seas while in active duty. From what I was told, the Va does not just automatically front the money, he had to take the loan out and then they would pay the money back. It didn't make to much sense to me but I didn't get involved because i didn't think it had anything to do with me.
The circumstances as to how this loan is tied to me is unclear and nobody is giving me a straight answer. I never signed anything or gave my verbal permission when this loan was taken out. When I asked my boyfriend how can I be held responsible for this loan which i never signed or verbally agreed to he advised me that it is because we live together.
So my question is is there such a thing as involuntary being designated as a co signer to a loan because you live with someone? Doesn't any loan taken out designating me as a cosigner, need my signature? I cosigned for a lease and I had to physically be present at the dealership to sign it. So I am not sure how this is even possible, because from what I know if someone is cosigning they need to sign in person or at least have the document notarized.
I am not sure if this is a tactic from the company to receive payment, because they are not showing it as unpaid at this present moment, or if my boyfriend signed my name to a loan without me knowing. Or if this is actually legitimate and I can be held responsible for this loan.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/18/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

So my question is is there such a thing as involuntary being designated as a co signer to a loan because you live with someone?

.

No, legally that can't happen.

.

Doesn't any loan taken out designating me as a cosigner, need my signature?

.

Yes, that is correct. The only logical conclusion here is that 1. you signed without realizing it (which would be very odd) or 2. your signature was forged on the loan paperwork.

.

With that said, if it is showing up on your credit report, you can file a dispute with the 3 credit reporting agencies and dispute the debt. They will then initiate an investigation and contact the creditor and request that they "validate" the debt by providing proof that you signed agreeing to be a co-signer. If they come up with something, then you can ask the credit agencies for a copy of it and then let the creditor know that it is not your signature and it was fraudulently done so they will remove you from any paperwork and notify the credit agencies about the error.

.

What will happen to boyfriend if he forged your name, I can't say...

.

.

thanks