How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27270
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. Did you ever go to court for this? What papers do you need to send to Albany?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. To change your name, the process requires you to proceed through the court.

General Information

  1. Only New York City residents may change their name in New York City Civil Court. New York State Residents will need to go to their county’s Supreme Court.
  2. These instructions only apply to people who are at least 18 years old. If you are under 18, your parent or guardian will need to petition on your behalf and you will need to show the judge the name change is in your best interests.
  3. For legal advice, please consult a lawyer.

Getting All the Papers

  1. To change your name in NYC, you need a Petition and your Birth Certificate.
  2. Complete the Petition by adding your personal information. If anything from #5-9 in the Petition applies to you, simply explain. For example, if you have ever been convicted of a crime, say when, where, and for what you were convicted and what happened with your case.
  3. For the grounds of your application, say whatever you want the judge to know about why you want a name change.
  4. Name changes need to be published in a newspaper, unless the judge says you don’t have to because of a risk to your safety. If you have any specific reasons why you would be at risk if you published, add them to #11.
  5. Sign the Petition with your current legal name and have it notarized. If you do not understand English, whoever translated the Petition for you should sign and have notarized an “affidavit of translation.”
  6. Get a certified copy of your birth certificate, if you don’t already have one. If you were born in NYC, go or call(###) ###-####to find out how to get a copy. If you were born in New York State, go to this page.
  7. If you are an immigrant who has status in the U.S. and lives in New York, you have a right to change your name here. If you do not have a birth certificate, you should be able to use immigration documents instead. If you are an undocumented immigrant and live in New York, you may also be able to change your name here, but it is a good idea to talk to a lawyer first.
  8. Under the law, trans people cannot be required to show supporting medical evidence about our transitions to change our names. Most of the time, judges correctly follow the law. But, some judges still wrongly deny name changes from trans people without medical evidence. If you wish to include medical documentation, you may have your doctor, social worker, or psychologist write a letter explaining why they support your name change petition. If your name change does get denied because you did not include medical evidence, you can either seek legal help to get your name change granted without it, or you can submit the medical evidence at that point.
  9. If you have criminal convictions, you will also need to submit a certificate of disposition for each conviction or a rap sheet. You can get a copy of your certificate(s) of disposition from the court where you were convicted.
  10. Attaching other documentation about things you say in your Petition can make the process smoother. For example, if you are asking to be excused from publication because of domestic violence and have an Order of Protection, attaching a copy of that order to your application can help. Also, if you cannot afford to pay the fee for filing a name change, bringing a copy of an award letter or other proof of income or inability to pay can help.

Filing the Papers

  1. Once you have your papers ready, you can file your name change application in the civil court of any of the five boroughs, no matter which borough you live in. (Manhattan:*****Bronx: 851 Grand Concourse; Brooklyn:*****; Queens: 89-17 Sutphin Blvd.; Staten Island:*****). This overview is Manhattan-specific. Please note that the process differs in different boroughs of NY. However, you can change your name in Manhattan no matter what borough you live in. If you go to court in another borough, please call the court clerk to make sure you are doing everything correctly.
  2. After you go through security to enter the court, go to the clerk’s office that handles name changes. In Manhattan, it is room 118 on the ground floor level near the exit.
  3. Get on the line marked “name change.” Tell the clerk you are filing for a name change and give the clerk your papers. If you were born in New York, the clerk will keep your original birth certificate. If you were not born in New York, the clerk will make a photocopy of your birth certificate and give you back the original. The clerk will also tell you that you need to pay a $65 fee.
  4. If you cannot afford this fee, tell the clerk that you need to “proceed as a poor person” and fill out the form that the clerk will give you (it will ask you questions about your income, property and expenses, such as rent). You should hear in a couple of days whether your petition to proceed as a poor person was approved. If it was approved, you will be given an index number and a court date. If it wasn’t, the clerk will either ask you to come in with more information or proof of your income or tell you that you will have to pay the fee. You may call the clerk(###) ###-#### ***** go to their office in person to check on it if you don’t hear from them.
  5. If you can afford this fee, go to the cashier to pay. The cashier only accepts cash (in exact change), money orders, and certified checks, NOT personal checks or credit cards. The cashier will give you a receipt with your index number on it. Keep this receipt. Then go back to the clerk, who will take your papers.
  6. The clerk will assign you a date for a name change hearing. If you know you can not make it on that date, just tell the clerk and ask for a later date. Your name change hearing will probably be scheduled for around one to four weeks after the date you file your papers. (This procedure can be different in other boroughs. For example, in Brooklyn, you will usually see a judge on the same day you file the papers.)
  7. If you are currently incarcerated or on parole for a violent felony offense, you will need to give notice of the hearing date to the DA and the court where you were convicted.

The Hearing

  1. Name change hearings vary according to the judge you get. Generally, the hearing is fairly straight forward. When you get to court for your hearing, make sure to let the court officer know that you have arrived. There is a calendar outside the courtroom that will list your name and a number. It is easier for the court officer if you give them the number beside your name. Then, sit in the courtroom until you hear your name called.
  2. Sometimes there is almost no wait at all. Other times you may need to wait for one or two hours before you are called. When you are called, walk up to the front of the courtroom, directly in front of the judge. The judge will ask you a few questions. Just respond briefly and honestly. The questions are usually easy and never last very long. Sometimes, your name will not be called at all, because the judge decided not to ask you any questions.
  3. Once the judge finishes deciding about all of the name changes, the name change files will be given to the clerk. You and everyone else there will then be asked to wait, usually for around 10 to 30 minutes, until the clerk is ready. Then, the clerk will give everyone instructions on what to do next.
  4. Most of the time name changes are approved the first time. If yours is denied, be sure to get a copy of whatever the judge wrote explaining the reasons for the denial. Don’t panic—many problems are very easy to fix and your name change will probably be granted on a second try. Call the Sylvia Rivera Law Project or another legal service provider right away if you want help.

Publication and Service

  1. If you haven’t been excused from the publication requirement, the clerk will give you a photocopy of your name change order, which has already been signed by the judge, and explain the publication requirement. You will need to publish within 60 days of the date the order was signed. Then, you will need to file proof that you published within 90 days of the date the order was signed.
  2. The order may say you have to publish in a certain paper. If you have a choice, the Irish Echo is the least expensive place to publish. It has a flat fee of $35. If you submit the notice by Friday at 2 p.m., you can have it published in the edition that comes out the next Wednesday. Then, you can pick up the proof of publication that Friday. The New York Beacon is the second cheapest paper. The clerk will give you the addresses of the papers.
  3. The judge might also have decided you need to “serve notice” of your name change on certain places, like the Division of Criminal Justice Services. If so, make a copy of the order and mail it to the address the clerk gives you. Be sure to take the envelope to the post office and have them give you a Certificate of Mailing (which costs less than $1.00). This is your proof of service.
  4. Once you have the proof of publication and/or service, go back to the court and give that proof to the clerk. If you missed the 60 or 90 day deadline, ask for a “nunc pro tunc” form so you can explain why you were late and ask the judge to accept your proof anyway. These requests are almost always approved.
  5. Once your proof has been accepted,your name change is complete! You can then buy certified copies of your name change order for $6 a piece. If you decide you need more later, you can always go back to court and get more. You can use the certified copy of the name change order to change your name on documents including your Social Security card, driver’s license, state ID, Medicaid card, passport, immigration documents, or birth certificate among others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

There should be an option for you to request a call and myself or another professional can accept it