I have been working same company years. I was running the…

Customer Question
I have been working for...
I have been working for the same company for 16 years. I was running the Internal Audit Department in the US since 2007. A little over a year ago our parent company in the UK decided that all internal auditors must roll up into the Group Internal Audit. I was asked to be the Regional Audit Manager for the Americas which includes Latin America and Canada. I turned the position down because it would mean more travel but they were not willing to pay me anymore money because according to them I was over compensated. They then "hired" someone for this position however they have had to leave him as a contractor because he is not legal to work in the US. He is living in the US but is from the UK. I have been working for him for the past year. Here is my issue. My position was eliminated in January because of cost cutting initiatives. I actually hired someone in October of last year to help me out who is significantly younger than I am and is getting paid a lot less than what I make. The US has picked my salary back up but I currently have no real job to speak of. The only reason I am still employed, I feel, is because my husband works for the company and he is an Executive. Do I have any legal rights?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/17/2016
Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of legal experience handling matters such as this one in the employment sector. It is a pleasure to assist you today, though I wish the circumstances were different.

In short, there are not many legal rights here for you. I assume based on your description that you are an at will employee. This means that the employer can terminate you or eliminate your position for any reason or no reason at all.

There are, however, a few exceptions to this doctrine. A company cannot adversely affect your employment based on discrimination or based on things that would violate public policy (termination because you refuse to engage in illegal activity).

If you feel as though you have been negatively affected because of your race, gender, age or because of a disability, then you may have a cause of action. If that is the case, then you can file a claim with the EEOC against the company in the US. They will investigate and if they find merit, will allow you to sue in federal court for damages and attorney fees.

Otherwise, based on what you have shared with me, there are not many, if any, avenues of recourse for you unfortunately.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively (three or more stars) as well so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking to see if you had any other questions or comments. I want to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks