I signed a contract with a contractor agreeing to pay 10k, i…

Customer Question
Hi, I signed a contract...
Hi, I signed a contract with a contractor agreeing to pay 10k, i now have a bill for 13k. They did not get my approval in writing or verbally to spend the extra money. However in reviewing what I did sign, I see a line on it saying that unforseen expenses would be charged to me. But wouldnt they first need to ask if it is okay? Am I liable for the charges?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/17/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA Ray here to help you today.

You have a right to itemized charges for anything over the $10k and may dispute them if they were not unforseen.To send you a bill here for more than the $10k without detailed explanation and items is unfair and unprofessional.

You can decide once you see the items whether this was reasonable or it needs to be disputed. A change order would have been appropriate if you say ordered changes and the cost increased and would have been approved by signing the change orders.That was not present here and you deserve a valid explanation.Write or email the contractor and ask why the cost went up and why no change orders.

To send you a larger bill without any explanation and the chance to see what the problems is unfair and unprofessional.You may certainly dispute this in writing by letter or email and ask for detailed explanation here.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck here resoling this matter.