Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I filed a lawsuit against X. How can I dismiss X by

Customer Question

I filed a lawsuit against X. How can I dismiss X by substituting it with Y without filling a brand new lawsuit?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can file a motion for leave to amend the suit and substitute defendant and attach the new amended suit with the new defendant named and in that way you can keep the same suit and just change the defendant out and have them served if the motion for leave is approved (generally it there would be no reason not to grant the motion in most cases).