My wife left her job 3 months ago and filed. Her former

Customer Question
Hello - my wife left...
Hello - my wife left her job for harassment 3 months ago and filed for unemployment. Her former employer has decided to appeal the case. The night before the first appeal hearing February 11th, two of the company owners came to my home at 10:00PM
and sent one of there husbands to knock on my door to hand us their last minute rebuttals. They were instructed to send and correspondence USPS, UPS ect. We thought this was another form of harassment and now we find out that they record my conversation with the husband. Just trying to see if i can keep myself from taking matters into my own hands.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/16/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under Texas law, it is a one party consent state, meaning that to record a conversation only one party to the conversation needs to consent. Thus, it is not illegal to record their conversation with you. However, them making a personal delivery, on top of the previous harassment, can be deemed to be a continuation of the previous harassment your wife experienced at her employment. So you would add this to your case in the hearing. Also, nothing is stopping your wife from filing suit in court for harassment and infliction of emotional distress that she suffered at work and the continued harassment that is going on and seek a court order of protection against her former employer and their spouses and also seek monetary damages for the emotional distress from the harassment. That is an option for your wife to explore to file suit based on her evidence of the workplace harassment.