How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116715
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did some Work on someone's House Handyman's Work. My

Customer Question

I did some Work on someone`s House Handyman's Work. My charges are $ 45.- per Hrs. Customer was informed about it. I spent 19 Hrs doing different jobs at his House icl.Pressure Wash Driveway.Plus Materials. Total price was. $1135.- I give him a Discount of $ 150.- if i get paid quick. I did not get Paid for 2 Weeks. He just send me a check of $ 800.- and let me know i Charged him do mutch.What can i do do get rest of Money?...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can start by sending the customer a lien notice stating if they do not finish paying their bill within 2 weeks, you will file a construction lien on their property and will be forced to sue for breach of contract. If they do not pay, you would file a lien with the property clerk (they usually have blank forms) against the property within 3 months of the last work performed on the property. You then need to file suit on the lien within 12 months of filing and take them to court to sue them for the remainder of your money. You can take them to small claims court without an attorney, since the amount in question is not a lot of money. If you had an agreement, he is bound to pay what he agreed to pay, he cannot later argue you charged him too much, that is not a valid legal argument to avoid paying you.